Author: Food Network Magazine
Recipe type: Side Dish (Mash Potatoes)
Cuisine: Gluten Free, Vegan, Nickel Free, Nut Free, Soy Free, Onion Free, Seed Free, Corn Free
Serves: 4 to 6 Servings
Author: All Recipe
Recipe type: Side Dish (Gravy)
Cuisine: Gluten Free, Nickel Free, Nut Free, Soy Free, Onion Free, Seed Free, Corn Free
Serves: 6 Servings
Directions for the Mash Potatoes
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, 1 teaspoon salt, and cold water to cover.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Lower the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, reserving a 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Return potatoes to the pan.
- Shake the pan over medium heat for about a minute to dry the potatoes.
- Transfer the potatoes to a food mill, ricer, or bowl. (Use a plastic masher to reduce nickel intake)
- Add the oil and reserved cooking liquid to the saucepan, and warm over medium heat.
- Remove pan from the heat.
- Mash the potatoes through the food mill, ricer, or by hand into the pan.
- Add the herbs and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Directions for the Gravy
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. (Use a nylon or rubber coated whisk to reduce nickel intake)
- Cook and stir over medium heat until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Gradually stir in milk so that no lumps form, and continue cooking and stirring until thickened.
- If the gravy becomes too thick, you may thin it with a little more milk.
Until next time, share your Thanksgiving meals via social media and #AllergyFreeThanksgiving for a feature.
Thank You for stopping by, it is much appreciated.I am neurotically Nickely Challenged😫, food lover 🍱, social rock🙍, & trying to navigate this adult life as nickel free as possible😓 I would love to hear what you thought about the post, so comment below.
Latest posts by Barbara (see all)
- Diary of a Mad Airborne Allergic Woman - January 9, 2017
- Favorite Nickel Tested Products / $100 Giveaway - December 27, 2016
- “And here you are living despite it all” with allergies #worldmentalhealthday - October 10, 2016